P.O. Box 441
Concord, MA 01742
- 4/18/2012 Globe: Soaring Greed at Liberty Mutual ~ by Brian McGrory.
- The following letters and articles are in response to the Infrastructure Mobilization Effort: State-Reviewed, Shovel-Ready Project List. Under the Transportation Task Force category are two projects with the same title:
“Hanscom Airfield Rehab Taxiway M, G, and E – Hanscom Field – Bedford. These projects include infrastructure improvements and expansion for corporate jet operations at Hanscom Field with a total cost estimate of $9,750,000.
- 02/24/2009 [document]: Lexington Global Warming Action Coalition letter to Gov. Deval L. Patrick
- PDF: Shovel-Ready Project List
- PDF: A letter from representatives Niki Tsongas, Edward J. Markey, and John F. Tierney urging "that federal stimulus funds not be directed toward these projects."
- PDF: A letter to Gov. Deval L. Patrick from: Senator Kenneth J. Donnelly, Senator Susan C. Fargo, Representative Cory Atkins, Representative Thomas P. Conroy, Representative Jay R. Kaufman, and Representative Thomas M. Stanley
- Save Our Heritage: "Shovel Ready" projects at Hanscom Field threaten historic environment
- GWAC [document]: Lexington Global Warming Action Coalition letter to John Silva, Federal Aviation Administration.
We are therefore shocked and dismayed to learn of the proposed actions by Massport to essentially double the hangar capacity for private corporate jets at Hanscom Field, which sits in the towns of Lexington, Concord, Bedford and Lincoln, all of whom have active groups of citizens working to combat global warming. Corporate jets are the most carbon polluting form of transportation that exists. A typical private jet generates more than four tons of carbon dioxide equivalent per hour, or about 30 tons for a round trip to Florida, about as much as one of our typical suburban homes generates in a year.
- 3/19/2009 Bedford Minuteman: Hanscom Field tree-cutting plan stirs controversy. "An effort by Massport to implement a Vegetation Management Project in the Jordan Conservation Area in Bedford has raised questions regarding the interpretation of laws governing tree cutting on conservation land." (source)
- The next meeting of HFAC will be held on March 17, 2009 [more info...]
- 3/11/2009 alternet.org: Corporate America, Ground Your Jets ~ By Barbara Ehrenreich and Chuck Collins; details the excesses of private jet owners (also here)
- 3/10/2009 Boston.com: Hanscom runway repairs opposed. "It has been pitched as a way to save much needed jobs, fix dilapidated bridges, and keep police on the street. But in Massachusetts, some of the federal stimulus money could also smooth the way for corporate jets." (source)
- 5/1/2008 [PDF]: Army Corps gives approval to fill in wetlands as part of Massport's plans to widen the runway safety areas at Hanscom.
- 4/27/2008 Globe: New role urged for Hanscom; Boosters push base for Cyber Command.
- 4/14/2008 [PDF]: The April HFAC meeting is cancelled. The next meeting is scheduled for May 19, 2008. The link is a draft version of the State of Hanscom presentation from the previous meeting less minor corrections.
- 4/3/2008 Globe: Massport seeks new commercial carrier for Hanscom Field to replace Boston-Maine Airways which ceased operations Feb. 29th.
- 3/25/2008 Massport: Pan Am ceases flights from Hanscom. Massport says the last flight was Feb. 29th, with no plans to resume operations from Hanscom.
- 3/20/2008 Globe: Massachusetts lobbied to make Hanscom Air Force Base one of 15 sites the U.S. Air Force is considering as a permanent home for its AFCYBER Command.
- 2/13/2008 ScienceDaily: Aircraft Noise Raises Blood Pressure Even While People Are Sleeping, Says Study
- 2/10/2008 Globe: Massport meetings mostly a closed-off affair.
Commercial aviation at Hanscom Civilian Airfield
a. Corporate and Cargo Jets
b. Shuttle America (now a US Airways Express carrier)
c. Other Airlines Consider Hanscom
Hanscom Civilian Airfield
a. Noise and traffic at Hanscom
b. Tree cutting plans around Hanscom
c. Changes to Hanscom Infrastructure
d. Support for Hanscom Air Force Base and Base Realignment and Closure (BRAC) News
e. Hanscom Field News (general items)
People concerned about expansion at Hanscom Civilian Airfield
a. National Recognition of the Threat
b. Other State Officials and Citizen Groups are Concerned
c. General Letters to the Editor
d. Alliance between Logan and Hanscom Activists
e. HATS, HFAC
f. Lawsuits against FAA, Shuttle America and Massport
b. Massport pushes regional airport use
a. Acela train service offers attractive travel option
b. Nationwide and International Air Traffic Problems
What's Happening |
Why it Matters |
Join ShhAir |
What You Can Do
Hanscom Facts & Stats |
Meetings & Events |
Action Alerts |
Massport Board |
Health & Environment |
Any questions or comments about this website?